West London vs North London

As you may or may not know. I work in West London and live in North London, it takes me a good 45 minutes on the tube. You readers who do not live in London may not know this, but like in any major city (I would imagine) different neighbourhoods have a different feel to them. What is surprising with London is that you can turn the corner and pretty much go from nice street to rough street. However, when you start traveling a little bit (like I do - North to West it feels like a different world).

The look of the place

West
Obviously certain parts of West London, like the place I work in is really well off, so the streets are all nice and pretty. The houses are prettier, more luxurious and maintained to a better level. Even the tube station (subway) is looking a lot posher.

North
So our houses may be a little bit run down, we have more estates and closer placed together. But in my heart I look at the buildings in my neighbourhood and think that they have got soul.

The people you meet on the street

West
Every single person in the street is very well dressed. But what really annoys me about them is - they walk like the own the street. No respect. On a very small pavement they will walk two next to each other - pushing me up next to the wall to the point where I'm brushed up again it.

North
So we may have some sketchy characters, but at least people will get out of your way and let you walk in peace when you are walking along the pavement.

The people running the shops

West
It is purely business no small talk, no nothing. I went to a shop at lunch and they don't really like to converse. The people running the shops look they don't really care about you.

North
Where I live the shopkeepers will talk to you about: The weather, politics, what you are doing that night/weekend, what's going on with them/you - anything under the sun.


Maybe I am just being a little bit judgmental about West London, but I am a North London girl. My ends have always been good to me. The people may not look well put together all of the time, but they are nice people and the neighrbourhood has a lot of charm and familiarity to me.

Conclusion: I don't think I could live in West London...


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :