Rave Report

We met up at my place and spent some downtime and listened to some music and got sent the location of the rave by text. I checked out the adress and the bus/tram routes. It was on the other side of the river just behind a big sport and event arena. It's a fairly central location but still in a part of town where there aren't too many people. It felt safe knowing where it was and that I were able to get home whenever I wanted to.

The rave took place in a "closed" lunch restuarant which is in a district dominated by office buildings, so there wasn't too many people around who could get bothered by the loud music. The rave was a bit more organized than what I expected. Firstly, they had a wardrobe, but the guy garding it seemed to be two sandwiches short of a picnic. He had to write my wardrobe number on my arm (I guess they don't trust their guests to have pockets or being able to keep track of a wardrobe card) and when writing the number on my arm his hands where shaking heavily.

And about those cliches...
They had decorated the place with banners with glow-in-the-dark colors and there were 'sculptures' hanging from the ceiling casting diffrent lights and shadows all over the floor and the walls. If I would be judgemental I'd say that the decorations definitely would look more stunning, I imagine, if one were high.
The people who went there definitely only dressed in cloths looking as they came from this shop.
And about those pills, that one expect to see at a rave. There was definitely people who didn't look completely sane. Everyone seemed nice and friendly, even those who seemed to be high except a couple of persons who really had that 'mad eyes' stare and looked awfully high. However, I thought I was going to see people dancing up with their tounge out of their month with a pill on it and then someone else would kiss them and thereby swallow the pill.
But I saw no drugs at all, so I'd say it all looked/seemed a lot less like a drug feast than what my exceptations might have been. The only drug refrence that happen all evening was this guy who offered me some crystal meth, which I kindly refused and this girl who asked me in the line to the toilet if I'd only been drinkning. She later complemented me on not being high and told me to have respect for drugs (like I haven't had that before).

It just seemed to be people who like that kind of trance/techno music and just wants to dance. There were a some weird fashion trends, all the girls had either really blond dyed hair or really dark dyed hair for example. If you were aware of it there definitenly was people who where high, but there was no open handling of drugs. I'd say that if you are not into that kind of music (which I'm not really...) it will get a bit boring after a couple of hours. So if you are going to go to a rave, go because you really love the music that's going to be played.

I had a glowstick which I was going to take a picture of when I got home. But just as I left this high guy took my glowstick from me under the excuse that "You are going to get it back" and then he preformed a "stunt" where he inserted the glowstick (which was quite flexible) up his nose and then open his month so people around could see the glow in his palate. Not a nice vision. Do I need to point out I did not claim my glowstick back.

All in all an interesting night.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

2 comments :

blindeinstein said...

this is awesome. Check us out at www.blindeinstein.com

Jim said...

Good report, Sanna! Your description of the events took me to the scene to see and hear the activity as you percieved it! I've always been curious about raves and found your account
very interesting and revealing!
Rave parties around Los Angeles are usually held east of LA in the less populated, sometimes desert areas and do tend to be very loud techno-rock with drugs, especially pot and pills like Ecstasy. I've not been myself but know the locals who've been there. Some raves have been closed down by the police and with the partiers scattering and some arrests being
made. Lately there hasn't been any news of problems so perhaps the raves have been more discreet and organized.