Noise Control


So as you may know I live in a house with 4 other people, it's a house share and sometimes you have to make allowances or compromise. To add to the story, the house has slightly thin walls, so you can actually hear quite a bit of what's going on in the other rooms in the house.

I live on the top floor and one floor below my bedroom is one of my housemates bedroom. That's fine, if he's playing music too loud I will let him know and visa versa. But here comes the million dollar question - should I really complain every since time he's being a bit too loud?

His girlfriend gave him new speakers to his computer for Christmas - before I could hear the music slightly if they were watching a movie. Now I can feel the base of the soundtrack to the movie vibrating through my floor and bed.
So if they watch a movie on a weekday and it's past eleven - sure I'll text him in a nice way and let him know.

However, last Friday night his girlfriend and him was having a drink in his room and chilling. Just after eleven I was 2 seconds from falling asleep when I could hear my housemate raising his voice in a wild discussion with his girlfriend, pulling me out of my sleepy haze and making me wide away.
I considered texting them to keep it down but I thought - it's not even midnight and it is technically the weekend. So I let it slide.
I fell asleep and about an hour later I wake up from a loud thud. My housemate has fallen off the chair/bed that he was sitting on in his room and woke me up. I let it slide and try to fall back asleep.

I know that it's a bit a granny move from my part, wanting to fall asleep before midnight on a Friday night. There is also the balance between when to ask them to keep it down and when to let it slide. To be fair, there will be nights when I would want to have a bit of a loud time in my room and would want him to let it slide. So it's just the question of how to deal with it and try and be nice about it.

Sometimes you just have to deal with your housemates being noise, because there will come a day when I will want to be noise and will expect them to deal with it.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :