The dynamics: Manager, Line Manager and Notice Period

So as you may know, oh loyal reader. I have just gotten a new job and therefore I am leaving my current temp job position.
In terms of leaving there is some etiquette to it. I work in a team, with a line manager: a nice older gentleman known here as J. But I also work under a manager for our department: a lovely middle aged woman known here as D.

I told D. in private that I had received another job offer and that I therefore needed give my notice and leave. D. was genuinely thrilled for me, she told me that my new job was great opportunity and that I should go and work hard. That I would learn loads and that I should take advantage as this new position as it is within the music industry, for the sort of company I have only dreamt about working for.

I emailed a formal letter stating my notice period. A day later when I had received no response, I had a thought to myself "Who will tell my line manager J, that I am leaving?" So I drop her a follow up email and ask. She responds reassuring me that she will let him know. So I don't think more about the situation. A few days passes and I gently start telling those of my colleagues that I am close to that I will be leaving soon.

The next morning, one of my colleague asks me something about me new job in front of J. He looks at me and says semi under his breath:
"I didn't know that you were leaving, I had to find out from round the corner..."
He was referring to the fact someone from the department around the corner had told him.
I respond telling him that I've notified D. of me leaving and asked wether I should let him know and that D. told me she would tell him.
J. does not respond.

The next week on Monday morning I walk in and J. states:

"Oh, are you still here I thought you would have left by now!"
I respond letting him know gently but firmly:
"No J, I have until Friday before my notice period ends."

I sense a slight resentment towards the fact that I am leaving. So I spend the day asking some questions about our computer systems, so he can feel like a big man and show off about his knowledge.
By the end of the day I hear him passing off one of my ideas about our email systems to the tech guy as his own.
I guess that I am forgiven...

Share this:

CONVERSATION